Depending on depth, scarifying procedures are performed for the following reasons:
- To maintain surface grade
- Scarify and restore smooth playing surface
- Loosen heavily compacted soils as needed
- Mix soil amendments through the infield skin profile
- Provide better resiliency
Deep Spiking and Mixing Procedure:
- Most effective when infield soils have uniform moisture.
- Have enough weight or down pressure for maximum penetration (greater than one inch in depth).
- Keep unit clear of soil buildup on spikes.
- Crosscut and vary spiking pattern to avoid waves.